Gartner defines a content services platform as:
“A set of services and microservices, embodied as an integrated product suite and applications that share common APIs and repositories, to exploit diverse content types and to serve multiple constituencies and numerous use cases across an organization.”
We couldn’t agree more. SharePoint is the content services platform for Microsoft 365, with capabilities for creating, sharing, protecting, and reusing information. SharePoint hosts digital content like pages, lists, videos, images, designs, 3D, medical scans, and markup as well as traditional Office documents. SharePoint embodies ease of use with ease of management—on any device, for any user, at any location. Importantly, SharePoint collects and extends content experiences to any application in Office 365—including Microsoft Teams and Outlook and, of course, third-party applications as well.
These innovations—along with customers’ transition to the cloud and the growing imperative for secure content collaboration and sharing—are driving growth across Microsoft 365, SharePoint, and OneDrive. More than 350,000 organizations now have SharePoint and OneDrive in Microsoft 365, including 90 percent of the Fortune 500. Active users grew over 90 percent, and data stored in SharePoint grew over 250 percent in the last year alone.
Additionally, Microsoft is the only company recognized as a leader in both the Content Collaboration Platforms and Content Services Platforms Magic Quadrant reports.
We feel this placement is a further indication of our commitment to our customers, recognizing that Microsoft provides leading content services capabilities, including:
- SharePoint is easy to set up, with a simple and clean user interface paired to easy but powerful management, deeply integrated with OneDrive so you can take your files anywhere.
- SharePoint empowers you to create beautiful, engaging pages and knowledge portals, enriched with video from Stream and conversations from Yammer, to connect across your organization.
- We combine the power of artificial intelligence (AI) with content to help you be more productive, make more informed decisions, and keep more secure. This includes video and audio transcription, mobile capture to SharePoint using the top-rated OneDrive mobile app, as well as other features to make Microsoft 365 the smartest place to store your content.
- Microsoft 365 is easily connected and automated via Microsoft Flow to over 200 cloud and on-premises systems, enriched with Azure cognitive services, and extended with PowerApps and the SharePoint framework for custom development.
- SharePoint delivers content across Microsoft 365. Whether you are a Firstline Worker working remotely, co-authoring in Office apps, emailing cloud attachments in Outlook, or collaborating with your team in the new chat-based workspace Microsoft Teams, SharePoint provides a consistent set of experiences across the applications.
- SharePoint can store any file and now supports viewing of over 320 file formats, including Adobe Photoshop (PSD), Illustrator (AI), Acrobat (PDF), as well as video, 3D formats, and DICOM images.
- With Microsoft Search, we’re introducing new search experiences into the apps you use every day, including Bing.com and Windows, and our vision to connect across your organization’s network of data.
- SharePoint supports customers ranging in size from small businesses to organizations with hundreds of thousands of users, and has a maximum tenant capacity of 30 trillion documents.
- SharePoint leverages Microsoft security capabilities such as Advanced Data Governance for automated retention and records management, Data Loss Protection (DLP), eDiscovery, and MIP-based encryption, all with consistent controls across Microsoft 365.
- With 100+ global datacenters and Microsoft’s global network edge—combined with compliance standards, including ISO 27001, FISMA, and EU Model Clauses—we offer customers trusted enterprise-grade compliance and security.
At Microsoft Ignite last month, we shared exciting Microsoft 365 innovations that build on this foundation. And our innovations are amplified by the depth and breadth of our community. This year, we welcomed a limited number of Microsoft Preferred Partners to our Content Services Partner Program. Each is recognized for proven customer success to modernize, embrace, and extend our content services platform.
To learn more about how SharePoint can help you and your organization, visit our website and download our content services white paper. Finally, download your own complimentary copy of the Gartner Content Services Platforms Magic Quadrant.
This graphic was published by Gartner, Inc. as part of a larger research document and should be evaluated in the context of the entire document. Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product, or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.