“The all new Titanium PowerBook G4 is the most revolutionary portable computer ever created,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Its a supercomputer to go’ in terms of performance, yet it’s thinner and sexier than the best subnotebooks.”
The super light yet incredibly powerful Titanium PowerBook G4 outperforms Pentium III-based notebook systems by up to 30 percent* with key new features including:
- PowerPC G4 processors with Velocity Engine running up to 500 MHz with a 1MB L2 cache;
- 1-inch thick;
- 5.3 pounds;**
- Titanium metal body;
- stunning 15.2 inch (diagonal) TFT widescreen active-matrix display;
- slot-loading DVD-ROM drive;
- up to five hours of battery life on one Lithium-ion battery;
- 128MB to 256MB of SDRAM, expandable to 1GB;
- AGP 2X Rage Mobility 128 with 8MB SDRAM;
- built-in 10/100 Ethernet, USB, FireWire®, VGA and S-video output; and
- AirPort™ ready with integrated antennas.
PowerBook G4’s mega-wide display and blazingly fast PowerPC G4 processors make it the ultimate system for portable video editing using Apple’s iMovie™ 2, the world’s most popular, easy-to-use consumer digital video editing software which comes preinstalled, or Apple’s award-winning Final Cut Pro® professional video editing, effects and compositing software.
PowerBook G4 users can also manage their digital music collection on the go with Apple’s new iTunes software, the world’s best and easiest-to-use “jukebox” software. iTunes lets users import songs from their favorite CDs; compress the files into the popular MP3 format; organize their music using powerful yet easy to use searching, browsing and play list features; watch stunning visualizations on their computer screens; and tune in to hundreds of Internet radio stations.
PowerBook G4 is AirPort ready with a built-in slot for the AirPort Card and two built-in antennas for communicating with the AirPort Base Station. AirPort, Apple’s revolutionary wireless networking solution, provides totally untethered Internet access at speeds up to 11 megabits per second.
Pricing & Availability
The new PowerBook G4 line will be available in January through The Apple Store™ (www.apple.com) and Apple Authorized Resellers in two standard configurations:
- PowerBook G4 with a PowerPC G4 400 MHz processor with 1MB level 2 backside cache, 128MB PC-100 SDRAM, a 10GB Ultra ATA/66 hard drive, ATI RAGE Mobility 128 featuring AGP 2X support and 8MB SDRAM of video memory, built-in 10/100BASE-T Ethernet, FireWire™ and USB ports, VGA and S-Video ports, AirPort ready, built-in 56K V.90 modem, iTunes and iMovie 2 for a suggested retail price of US$2,599; and
- PowerBook G4 with PowerPC G4 500 MHz processor with 1MB level 2 backside cache, 256MB PC-100 SDRAM, 20GB Ultra ATA/66 hard drive, ATI RAGE Mobility 128 featuring AGP 2X support and 8MB SDRAM of video memory, built-in 10/100BASE-T Ethernet, FireWire and USB ports, VGA and S-Video ports, AirPort ready, built-in 56K V.90 modem, iTunes and iMovie 2 for a suggested retail price of US$3,499.
Additional build-to-order options for the new PowerBook G4 include: a 30GB hard drive; up to 1GB of SDRAM; and the AirPort Base Station and AirPort Card; and the AppleCare Protection Plan.
* Based on 12 commonly used actions in Adobe Photoshop 5.5.
** Weight includes battery and DVD drive, and varies by configuration and manufacturing process.
Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators and creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.
Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, AirPort, The Apple Store, Final Cut Pro, FireWire, iMovie and PowerBook and Velocity Engine are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.