“The new PowerBook is the best tool in the world for creative professionals,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “For example, with Final Cut Pro video editing software, it’s the ultimate mobile movie studio.”
The new PowerBook is AirPort™ ready with a built-in slot for the AirPort Card and two built-in antennas for communicating with the AirPort Base Station. AirPort, Apple’s revolutionary wireless networking solution, provides totally untethered Internet access at speeds of up to 11 megabits per second.
Providing outstanding desktop performance in a slim, lightweight design, the new PowerBook outperforms Pentium III-based notebook systems by up to 30 percent**. Key features include:
- PowerPC G3 processors running at speeds of 400 MHz or 500 MHz;
- 1MB level 2 backside cache and 100 MHz system bus;
- Two 400 Mbps built-in FireWire ports for providing data transfer and power to high-speed peripherals;
- Support for up to 512MB of SDRAM;
- Brilliant 14.1-inch active-matrix display;
- A thin and light design that weighs only 5.7 pounds with weight-saving module and battery, or 6.1 pounds with DVD-ROM drive and battery;
- High performance Ultra ATA/66 internal hard drives of up to 18GB;
- ATI RAGE Mobility 128 graphic controller featuring AGP 2X support for exceptional 2D/3D graphics performance, and 8MB SDRAM of video memory;
- DVD-ROM drive with DVD movie playback;
- VGA and S-Video ports for dual display and video mirroring;
- Two USB ports for connection to the latest generation of computer peripherals;
- Built-in 10/100BASE-T Ethernet;
- 56K modem with V.90 support;
- Easy access to RAM expansion and removable hard drive through flip-up keyboard; and
- Mac® OS 9, featuring 9 Internet power tools.
- PowerBook 400 MHz with 64MB SDRAM, 1MB L2 backside cache , 6GB hard drive, 6x-speed (max) DVD-ROM for an estimated retail price of US$2,499; and
- PowerBook 500 MHz with 128MB SDRAM, 1MB L2 backside cache , 12GB hard drive, 6x-speed (max) DVD-ROM for an estimated retail price of US$3,499.
Additional build-to-order options for the new PowerBook include: an 18GB hard drive; up to 512MB of RAM; and third-party options such as the Adaptec PC Card SCSI Adapter, and ZIP and SuperDisk expansion bay modules from VST Technologies.
* Up to 10 hours using the system’s dual-battery capability.
** Based on 16 actions in Adobe Photoshop 5.5 when running on battery and AC power.
Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.
(650) 968-4033, ext.2752
Apple, the Apple logo, AirPort, Final Cut Pro, FireWire, Mac OS, PowerBook and The Apple Store are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.