The new iBook offers the choice of a CD, DVD or CD-RW drive for easily burning music CDs, or a “Combo” DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive for both burning CDs and watching movies on DVDs. New iBooks include both iTunes, the world’s best and easiest to use “jukebox” software, and iMovie™ 2, the world’s most popular and easy-to-use consumer digital video editing software. Every new iBook model has a brilliant 1024-by-768 resolution 12.1-inch TFT display that has as many pixels as a typical 14-inch notebook display.
“The new iBook is wonderfully small and light, and packs in all the amazing features you’d expect from Apple,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “With iMovie, iTunes and iTools, the new iBook builds on the incredible success of the original iBook and is designed to fit today’s digital lifestyle.”
Every iBook is powered by 500 MHz PowerPC G3 processors, and offer up to twice the onboard memory, twice the memory expansion, and twice the storage than previous models. iBook’s new stunning design is almost two pounds lighter and twice as durable than previous models, and small enough to easily fit into any backpack or computer bag. Made for students and consumers alike, iBook’s streamlined impact resistant polycarbonate enclosure has no doors protruding, latches or levers to break or accidentally catch.
The new iBook offers great features such as:
• fast PowerPC G3 processors running at 500 MHz with 256K backside level 2 cache;
• a crisp 12.1-inch (diagonal) active-matrix 1024-by-768 resolution TFT XGA display;
• a CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or CD-RW drive and optional “Combo” DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive;
• either 64- or 128MB onboard memory with increased RAM expansion to 640MB;
• one FireWire and two USB ports;
• AGP 2X Rage Mobility 128 with 8MB SDRAM;
• built-in 10/100 Ethernet and 56K modem;
• full-size keyboard;
• VGA and composite video output;
• AirPort™ ready with integrated antennas; and
• built-in microphone and stereo speakers.
Still the easiest way to get on the Internet, all models offer instant Internet access with a free 30-day trial with EarthLink; Mac® OS 9.1, featuring iTools, Apple’s unique suite of free Internet services; and support AirPort, Apple’s revolutionary wireless networking for cable-free Internet access. With an optional cable, every iBook also offers video out as either VGA or composite video.
Pricing and Availability
The new iBook will be available in mid-May from Apple Authorized Resellers and The Apple Store® (www.apple.com) in three standard configurations:
- iBook 500 MHz with 64MB SDRAM, 256K level 2 cache, 10GB Ultra ATA hard drive, CD-ROM drive, USB and FireWire, built-in 56K modem, 10/100BASE-T Ethernet and AirPort ready for an estimated retail price of $1,299 (US);
- iBook 500 MHz with 128MB SDRAM, 256K level 2 cache, 10GB Ultra ATA hard drive, DVD-ROM drive, USB and FireWire, built-in 56K modem, 10/100BASE-T Ethernet and AirPort ready for an estimated retail price of $1,499 (US); and
- iBook 500 MHz with 128MB SDRAM, 256K level 2 cache, 10GB Ultra ATA hard drive, CD-RW drive, USB and FireWire, built-in 56K modem, 10/100BASE-T Ethernet and AirPort ready for an estimated retail price of $1,599 (US).
Build-to-order options include an additional 64- or 128MB RAM, a combination DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive, 20GB hard disk, and AirPort Card and AirPort Base Station.
* Depending on configuration.
Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.
Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, AirPort, The Apple Store, FireWire, iBook, iMovie and Mac OS are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.