Creative professionals will benefit from the new larger hard drives upto 48GB and the new optional CD-RW slot-loading optical drives. The newPowerBook G4s now include both the new Mac® OS X version 10.1 and Mac OS9.2.1 pre-installed.
“The new Titanium PowerBook G4 is the world’s thinnest and lightestprofessional notebook and offers stunning improvements in both video andprocessor performance,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s senior director ofHardware Product Marketing. “We’ve made the fastest portable in theworld even faster.”
The super-light, yet incredibly powerful new Titanium PowerBook G4 features:
- 1-inch thick Titanium metal body weighing just 5.3 pounds*;
- a stunning 15.2 inch (diagonal) TFT wide-screen active-matrix display;
- new 550 MHz or 667 MHz PowerPC G4 processors with Velocity Engine™ and 256K of on-chip level 2 cache, running at full processor speed;
- new 133 MHz system bus in 667 MHz model and 100 MHz system bus in 550 MHz model;
- 128MB or 256MB SDRAM, expandable to 1GB;
- slot-loading DVD-ROM drive or new slot-loading CD-RW drive option;
- new ATI Mobility Radeon graphics with AGP 4X and 16MB DDR video memory;
- new built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet;
- new 20GB or 30GB Ultra ATA/66 hard drives standard, with drives up to 48GB optional;
- up to 5 hours of battery life on one Lithium-ion battery;
- AirPort® card now pre-installed on 667 MHz model, with antennas and slot for wireless networking on all models;
- USB, FireWire®, VGA and S-video output;
- new Mac OS X version 10.1, Apple’s next-generation operating system installed, as well as Classic Mac OS 9.2.1; and
- a new small, lightweight power adapter.
Offering blazing performance, the new 550 MHz Titanium PowerBook G4offers a 100 MHz system bus, while the 667 MHz model features a 133 MHzsystem bus. Tapping into that power, the new Titanium PowerBook G4outperforms Pentium III-based 1.13GHz notebook systems on average by 48percent*. Both models provide advanced graphics and fast 3D renderingwith the ATI Mobility Radeon graphics processor with AGP 4X support and16MB of fast DDR video memory.
The new Titanium PowerBook G4 continues to set the standard for mobilecommunications with both built-in Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000BASE-T)and 802.11-based AirPort technology for 11 megabit per second wirelesscommunications. The new 667 MHz PowerBook G4 comes standard with bothGigabit Ethernet and AirPort wireless networking pre-installed. The new550 MHz PowerBook G4 also includes Gigabit Ethernet and the ability toadd AirPort wireless networking as an option.
PowerBook G4 customers can now choose to configure their system with aCD-RW drive to manage their digital music collection on the go usingApple’s pre-installed iTunes™ software, the world’s best andeasiest-to-use “jukebox” software, and also burn customized music CDs orcreate data CDs for file sharing and backup with Apple’s Disc Burnersoftware. With Apple’s iMovie™ 2, the world’s most popular, easy-to-useconsumer digital video editing software which comes pre-installed, orApple’s award-winning Final Cut Pro® professional video editing, effectsand compositing software, the PowerBook G4 is the ultimate system forportable video editing.
The new PowerBook G4 line is available immediately through The AppleStore® (www.apple.com), atApple’s retail stores and Apple AuthorizedResellers in two standard configurations.
The 550 MHz PowerBook G4, for a suggested retail price of $2,199 (US), includes:
- 128MB SDRAM, expandable to 1GB;
- a 20GB Ultra ATA/66 hard drive; and
- AirPort ready with integrated antennas and card slot.
The 667 MHz PowerBook G4, for a suggested retail price of $2,999 (US), includes:
- 256MB SDRAM, expandable to 1GB;
- a 30GB Ultra ATA/66 hard drive; and
- AirPort enabled with integrated antennas and pre-installed AirPort Card.
Additional build-to-order options for the new PowerBook G4 include: aCD-RW optical drive, 48GB hard drive; up to 1GB of SDRAM; the AirPortBase Station and AirPort Card; and the AppleCare Protection Plan.
* Weight includes battery and DVD drive, and varies by configuration and manufacturing process.
** Based on 9 commonly used actions in Adobe Photoshop 6.0.
Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.
Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Macintosh, AppleScript, Apple Store, AppleTalk, Aqua, ColorSync, Finder, iBook, iMac, iMovie, iTunes, Mac OS, PowerBook, Power Mac, Power Macintosh and SuperDrive are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.