“The iBook is Apple’s best selling portable ever,” said GregJoswiak, Apple’s senior director of Hardware Product Marketing.“Now available with more speed, more storage and more memory, thenew iBooks are an incredible value starting at just $1,299.”
Powered by a fast 500 MHz or 600 MHz PowerPC G3 processor, all iBookmodels now offer 128MB of SDRAM. For additional performance, the 600 MHziBook includes a 100 MHz system bus. Featuring either a 15GB or 20GBhard drive, iBook customers can choose from a CD-ROM, DVD-ROM orDVD-ROM/CD-RW “Combo” drive for both burning CDs and watchingmovies on DVDs.
The iBook line offers an impressive set of features in every model, including:
- an impact resistant polycarbonate enclosure;
- a crisp 12.1-inch (diagonal) active-matrix 1024-by-768 resolution TFT XGA display;
- new 600 MHz or 500 MHz PowerPC G3 processors with 256K level 2 cache;
- new 128MB SDRAM standard, with expansion up to 640MB;
- ATI Rage Mobility 128 graphics controller with 8MB RAM and AGP 2X;
- 15GB or 20GB Ultra ATA hard drives;
- AirPort®-ready with integrated antennas and card slot for wireless Internet access;
- USB and FireWire® ports;
- VGA video out and composite video out with optional Apple AV cable;
- built-in 56K modem and 10/100BASE-T Ethernet;
- built-in microphone and stereo speakers;
- iTunes™ MP3 digital “jukebox” software and iMovie™ 2 digital video editing software;
- new Mac OS X v10.1, Apple’s next-generation operating system pre-installed, as well as Classic Mac OS 9.2.1;
- a new small, lightweight power adapter; and
- free 30-day Internet access with EarthLink.
The new iBook is available immediately from The Apple Store®(www.apple.com), Apple’s retailstores and Apple AuthorizedResellers and in three standard configurations:
- iBook 500 MHz, at a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US), includes a 15GB Ultra ATA hard drive and CD-ROM drive;
- iBook 600 MHz, at a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US), includes a 15GB Ultra ATA hard drive and DVD-ROM drive; and
- iBook 600 MHz, at a suggested retail price of $1,699 (US), includes a 20GB Ultra ATA hard drive and DVD-ROM/CD-RW “Combo” drive.
* Depending on configuration.
Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.
Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Macintosh, AppleScript, Apple Store, AppleTalk, Aqua, ColorSync, Finder, iBook, iMac, iMovie, iTunes, Mac OS, PowerBook, Power Mac, Power Macintosh and SuperDrive are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.