“WebObjects is the application server platform of choice because of its reliable, mature and comprehensive environment,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Now customers can create the world’s most powerful web sites faster than ever before with WebObjects’ new WebObjects Builder interface and Direct to Java Client technology.”
WebObjects is an open and flexible, standards-compliant application server that is ideal for developing Java applications. It has an object-oriented architecture that promotes quick development of reusablecomponents. WebObjects provides scalability, load balancing and fault-tolerant capabilities for multi-threaded applications running across multiple CPUs that support high transaction volumes.
New features in WebObjects 4.5 include:
- Integrated XML support, using IBM’s alphaWorks parser, enabling developers to easily build applications that exchange data with other XML-based application systems;
- A user interface for the WebObjects Builder with features that shorten development time and help new developers learn WebObjects even faster;
- Built-in application profiling tools that allow WebObjects applications to dynamically monitor execution environments, which can improve performance by at least 50 percent;
- A back-end LDAP adaptor that enables developers to authenticate users against LDAP servers or build asset management applications that can easily talk to directory services; and
- A new Direct to Java Client technology which completely automates the process of creating rich, 100 percent Pure Java clients for accessing databases over the Internet.
WebObjects 4.5 builds on the stellar productivity and performance capabilities of the platform’s previous release and it expands the requirements for standard application server software. WebObjects 4.5 also lays the foundation for future releases which will contain even more support for Java and other value-added standards and platforms, including EJB (Enterprise Java Beans).
Availability, Pricing and System Requirements
WebObjects 4.5 is currently available through The Apple Store™ (www.apple.com) and via Apple’s regional sales offices. For additional information call 1-800-848-6398.
WebObjects is priced at US$1,499 per seat for the developer edition, which includes licenses to deploy limited performance servers. Customer deployment prices range from US$7,500 to US$50,000 per server, depending on the number of connections associated with a deployment license.
WebObjects 4.5 is a fully cross-platform solution available for Windows NT/2000, Solaris, HP-UX, Mac OS® X Server and now, for HP-UX 11 systems.
Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.
(650) 968-4033 ext. 2764
© 2000 Apple Computer, Inc All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Mac OS, The Apple Store and WebObjects are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.