“Jaguar Server is the world’s easiest-to-manage UNIX-based server software and unleashes the power of our new Xserve rack-mount server,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “Combining affordable hardware with powerful open-standards based software, Xserve and Jaguar Server offer the perfect networking solution for Mac, UNIX and Windows environments.”
“Jaguar” Server key features include:
- new NetBoot for booting multiple Macintosh® systems from the network instead of their local disk drive for making operating system administration as easy as managing a single computer;
- new Network Install for automating the installation of Mac OS X and application software directly from the network;
- new Workgroup Manager, a powerful new management console that works with any LDAPv3 directory server to provide centralized management of users, groups and computers;
- new Open Directory, an easy-to-setup LDAPv3 directory server with a secure built-in password server;
- new QuickTime® Streaming Server 4 and QuickTime Broadcaster, which captures and encodes QuickTime content in MPEG-4 for live streaming over the web;
- improved file and print services including support for quotas, secure file transfers and NFS resharing via AFP;
- improved web services including support for SOAP, XML-RPC, server-optimized Java VM, JSPs and Java Servlets; and
- remote server management including the new Server Status Tool and support for SNMP.
Apple offers system administrators, technical coordinators and developers a complete line-up of courses for Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server. Certification programs and exams for system administrators and technical coordinators are also available. Classes are offered nationwide at Apple Training Centers and Apple Authorized Training Centers. For more information visit www.apple.com/training.
Mac OS X Server v10.2 will be available beginning on August 24 through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), at Apple’s retail stores and through Apple Authorized Resellers. Mac OS X Server v10.2 10-Client Edition has a suggested retail price of $499 (US). Mac OS X Server v10.2 Unlimited-Client Edition has a suggested retail price of $999 (US).
Mac OS X Server v10.2 works together with Apple’s powerful new Xserve™ rack-mount server hardware and is designed to run on Macintosh Server G4, Power Mac G4, Power Mac® G4 Cube, iMac®, Macintosh Server G3 and Power Macintosh® G3 computers with 128MB RAM and 4GB of available disk space.
Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.
Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS, Macintosh, QuickTime, Apple Store, Power Mac, Power Macintosh and iMac are trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.